The developmental initiative focused on the change of player registration from the “seasonal year” or “school year” to the calendar year, or birth year of the player has been implemented by US Soccer in order to align the United States to FIFA standards. The US Youth Soccer Board of Directors approved a motion for the implementation of the mandated registration change for all US Youth Soccer programs and competitions for the 2016-17 year. The US Youth Soccer competitions that will introduce the birth-year registration in the 2016-17 soccer year include, but are not limited to, the following:
- US Youth Soccer National Championships Series — including national, regional and state competitions
- US Youth Soccer Presidents Cup — including national, regional and state competitions
- US Youth Soccer National League and Regional Leagues
To calculate the proper year for a player, take the ending year of the seasonal year and subtract the player’s birth year.
- Example #1: 2017 – 2002 = 15; the player is a U15 for the 2016-17 season
- Example #2: 2017 – 2005 = 12; the player is a U12 for the 2016-17 season