Kentucky Youth Soccer has awarded John and Sue Gompper Founders Scholarships in excess of $52,000 for students planning to attend a post secondary educational institution (PSEI) since 2009. The basis for awarding scholarships will be community service and giving back to the game. Participation in soccer at the collegiate level is not a prerequisite.
Kentucky Youth Soccer will award one-time John and Sue Gompper Founders scholarship up to $1,000 each for students planning to attend a post secondary educational institution (PSEI). The basis for awarding of the scholarships will be community service and giving back to the game. Participation in soccer at the collegiate level is not a prerequisite. Scholarships will be paid directly to the PSEI.
- Seniors in high school when the application is submitted. Those students who are currently enrolled in a PSEI (or the equivalent) as a senior in high school will not be excluded from consideration.
- Participation (as a player or referee) in a Kentucky Youth Soccer program during the applicant’s junior or senior year.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in a college prep curriculum.
- Demonstrate active service to his or her community and a strong desire to give back to the game of soccer.
*Note that due to NCAA Bylaw 184.108.40.206, individuals who will be playing Division I soccer are no longer eligible to receive the John and Sue Gompper Scholarship. Those who will be playing Division II should ensure eligibility prior to applying for the scholarship.
1. Complete online application;
Submit the following items by mail to the Kentucky Youth Soccer Office or by email to Holly Kirkpatrick at email@example.com.
2. A high school transcript through the Fall 2019 semester;
3. No more than two letters of recommendation from the following: teacher, principal, coach, counselor, or community leader. A phone number and email address of the person(s) completing the letters of recommendation should be included in the letter(s).
4. Essay stating the impact soccer has made in your life (no more than 3 pages)
All materials submitted with the application will not be returned.
Congratulations to the 2020 John and Sue Gompper Scholarship Winners!
Elizabeth Burns - Kentucky Wesleyan College
Ethan Elbert – Hanover College
Kennedy Park – University of Kentucky
Bryson Penn – University of Kentucky
Click here to see the official announcement.
Donations for the Scholarship Fund
Donations for the John and Sue Gompper Founders Scholarship can be sent to the Kentucky Youth Soccer Association office. Please send donations in the form of a check made out to Kentucky Youth Soccer and mail checks to the following address:
Kentucky Youth Soccer
John & Sue Gompper Founders Scholarship
158 Constitution St.
Lexington, KY 40507
Please include a return address in order to receive a donation receipt.